Here’s a slightly spicy family favorite that reminds us a bit of a Thai shepherd’s pie – just coconut rice instead of potato.
Thai Beef With Jalapeño And Basil
- Chop the garlic
- Deseed the jalapeño peppers, and cut them into matchstick-sized strips
- Mix the fish sauce, soy sauce, and sugar together
Rice Directions (start first)
- Mix the rice, water, coconut milk, and a half a teaspoon of salt in a sauce pan and cover.
- Bring to a boil, then lower the heat to a simmer.
- Continue to simmer (covered) until rice is tender. Normally about 25 minutes.
- You can use a rice cooker with the same ingredients if you wish.
Thai Chili Beef Directions
- Heat a large pan, skillet, or wok to high.
- Add vegetable oil into pan and heat; then add the garlic and half of the chili matchsticks. Cook for 30-seconds with constant stirring.
- Add ground beef, break it up and mix with chilies, and cook thoroughly, typically 4 to 5 minutes.
- Pour the fish sauce/soy sauce mixture in with beef. Stir it thoroughly through ground beef for 30 seconds.
- Take the beef off the heat and add the remaining chilies and the torn basil leaves. Stir thoroughly.
- Serve over the coconut rice with a squeeze of fresh lime.