A delicious and surprisingly versatile Indian spice…
If you love the exotic flavors of Indian cuisine, then you’ll certainly love using a tandoori masala spice mix in the kitchen. This seasoning is delicious and surprisingly versatile. You can use it, of course, for the traditional Indian yogurt-based tandoori marinade. But try it as well sprinkled on vegetables (we love it on fried potatoes). Or use it as a simple meat rub, as a burger spice, or even as a salad seasoning.
Paprika provides a little simmering heat, but there’s some additional cayenne pepper powder in the recipe to up the spiciness. Feel free to use whole spices that are ground fresh rather than spice rack powders. They’ll provide a more aromatic and flavorful spice mix.
If you like exotic seasoning with a little heat, don’t miss some more of our favorite seasoning recipes: berbere spice mix, harissa seasoning, and ras el hanout. Or turn the ever-popular Sriracha sauce into a delicious spicy seasoning with our Sriracha powder recipe.
- 3 tablespoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ginger powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground fenugreek seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Add all ingredients in a mixing bowl and stir to fully combine.
- Heat a pan on medium-low. Add the tandoori masala spice mix to the pan and heat the powder, stirring often for 30 seconds to 1 minute. This is to release the full flavor of the powder. Do not keep it on for longer, just until the powder is aromatic.