Sweet, spicy, and refreshing…
Now this is a soup that satisfies on a hot summer day. This spicy watermelon gazpacho has that refreshing watermelon flavor mixed with the sweetness of pineapple juice and honey, plus an exotic twist of fresh ginger. Then layered on top of it all is a bright jalapeño pepper heat that adds just the perfect level of tingle to the taste. It’s a thirst quencher – truly a satisfying summer soup. Pair it with a crisp white wine and a summer vegetable salad and you’re in eating heaven.
If you want to step up the spiciness, you can use serrano peppers instead of jalapeños. Start with only one serrano as the serrano’s spiciness typically more than doubles the heat of jalapeño while maintaining a very similar bright pepper flavor.
Spicy Watermelon Gazpacho
- 6 cups watermelon seeded and chopped into small cubes
- 2 hothouse cucumbers chopped
- 2 bell peppers chopped, red or yellow
- 1 to 2 jalapeno peppers depending on spiciness desired, diced
- 1 red onion diced
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice
- 3 tablespoons mint chopped
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons ginger minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Separate ingredients equally into 2 to 3 batches for blending.
- In a blender, place all ingredients from the batch and pulse blend for 30 seconds, until the gazpacho reaches your desired consistency.
- Place all batches into a large bowl or container and refrigerate the gazpacho for 1 to 2 hours prior to serving.
- Serve with garnishes of hothouse cucumbers, jalapeño, or mint.