Amp up that penne ala vodka…
Just a little crushed red pepper brings your homemade vodka sauce to life. In this recipe, we use only a pinch (or so), but if you’re heat-inclined like us, feel free to be a little more heavy-handed in the amount used.
Spicy vodka sauce is delicious of course with penne, but any pasta will do. Or try it with baked or grilled chicken. The creamy and spicy sauce brings a whole lot of flavor to the table.
Spicy Vodka Sauce
Spice up the vodka
- In a bowl or jar, pour in the vodka and add the crushed red pepper. Prior to starting the remainder of the recipe, allow the vodka/CRP mix to sit for 1 to 2 hours for best flavor.
Make the spicy vodka sauce
- Pour the Roma tomatoes and tomato sauce into a bowl and crush the tomatoes until they are your desired texture for the sauce.
- Separately, in a medium sauce pan or skillet, heat the oil then sauté the garlic until fragrant (approximately 1 minute).
- Add in the spicy vodka/crushed red pepper mix and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add in the chopped fresh basil and parsley, along with a dash of salt and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Add the Roma tomato sauce and 1 cup water. Continue to simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add in the heavy cream, stir to combine while simmering for an additional 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat, and allow the sauce to cool for 5 to 10 minutes to thicken. Serve.