Chipotle brings a smoky warmth…
Sure, any type of turkey gravy is pretty delicious, whether over turkey, mashed potatoes, or any of the typical sides that often accompany them. But if you’re looking for something a bit more memorable, that chipotle powder in your spice rack can be just what you need. This spicy turkey gravy has a touch of smoky warmth from the chipotle peppers that works quite well with classic turkey meals.
Feel free to adjust the amount of chipotle powder as you see fit. You could also try this recipe with chipotle in adobo sauce instead. Start with a half chipotle pepper mashed into a paste. You can also use some of that deliciously earthy adobo sauce in the mix for a spicy gravy that’s a bit more exotic.
Spicy Turkey Gravy
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle powder more to taste
- In a pot over medium-low heat, melt the butter.
- Add the flour and chipotle powder, whisking well to combine.
- Add the chicken broth, whisking while pouring in the broth to combine.
- Allow the gravy to simmer over medium-low heat for 10 minutes to thicken, stirring occasionally.
- Serve immediately.
You can opt to use turkey drippings instead of the chicken stock. If you use the drippings, strain first and allow the drippings to sit until the fat from the drippings rises to the top. Remove the fat with a teaspoon, then use in the recipe.