You won’t miss the meat when you’re enjoying this spicy three bean casserole. This recipe is healthy as can be, plenty hearty, and chock full of flavor. This dish is perfect for vegetarians and meat-eaters alike. It’s (likely obviously) a delicious side for all sorts of meats. It’s a standard with barbecue, but just as tasty with simple grilled chicken or even a meaty white fish.
Don’t overlook it as a primary meal, either. Serve this spicy three bean casserole with rice or with crusty bread, and you have a the makings of a big lunch or lighter supper.
The spiciness here is powered by one jalapeño pepper. And its bright bite adds just the right amount of heat. But if you want more, simply add an additional chili pepper. Or try some chopped pickled jalapeños atop for both some spiciness and a nice twist of tanginess. There’s also a ton of other spices here delivering maximum flavor: chili powder, cumin, and cinnamon all provide additional warmth and taste.
Don’t be afraid to experiment this spicy three bean casserole, too. For instance, it’s surprisingly tasty with a solar of natural yogurt atop. It adds a creamy, cooling flavor – perfect for summer days.
This dish freezes well, and it can be kept in the refrigerator for up to three days.Spicy three bean casserole is a perfect candidate for meal prepping, too. Especially so since it can be mixed and matched with other foods oh so well.
Spicy Three Bean Casserole
- 1 Slow Cooker optional
- 1 cup navy beans soaked
- 1 cup black beans soaked
- 1 cup cannellini beans soaked
- 1 onion peeled and chopped
- 1 red pepper chopped
- 1 garlic clove peeled and chopped
- 1 cup tomato puree
- 1 jalapeno pepper de-seeded and chopped finely
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- ½ cup red wine
- 14 oz tinned tomatoes
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup canned sweetcorn
- ½ cup cilantro chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Add all of the ingredients except for the cilantro and sweetcorn into a casserole dish (or a slow cooker if you prefer.) Stir well to combine.
- Cook for 2 hours covered in the oven (or on a low heat for 6 hours if you are using a slow cooker.)
- Remove from the cooker and stir in tinned sweetcorn and chopped cilantro. Serve immediately.