A side of sweet and spice…
It’s no secret – sweet potato fries are delicious simply plain. A little dash of salt along with that natural earthy sweetness is plenty good. But like many things sweet – they sure do pair well with fiery spices. Here we pair sweet potato fries with a little chili powder and cayenne pepper. That’s balanced with some brown sugar to level out the sweet just right. These are unforgettable fries, whether as a side for BBQ or a burger. The cayenne pepper powder is optional to the recipe, but it does provide a nice medium heat that chili powder alone won’t bring.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and lightly coat the foil evenly with 1 teaspoon olive oil.
- In a large Ziploc bag, place the sweet potato strips along with the 2 remaining teaspoons of oil, brown sugar salt, chili powder, and cayenne pepper powder (optional). Seal and shake the bag vigorously to coat the sweet potatoes evenly with the spices.
- Pour the spiced sweet potato fries onto the foil-lined baking sheet and spread them out evenly.
- Bake the fries for 30 to 40 minutes, until the fries have a crispness ot them. Flip the fries 2 to 3 times during the baking process for an even crunch.