This is one of those classic dishes that takes on total new life with the addition of fiery heat. Spicy sausage casserole warms you right up, even on the coldest of nights. It’s total feel-good food that’s sure to be a family hit at dinner time.
The red chili pepper choice is up to you, as the point of the chilies here is primarily to add spiciness. The flavor nuances of individual chilies are less critical in this recipe as the sausage takes center stage there, along with the general garden-fresh flavor of the vegetables used.
Red jalapeño peppers are an excellent choice for spicy sausage casserole. Their low-medium heat (2,500 to 8,000 Scoville heat units) is something most anyone can enjoy. Or, for something spicier, try fresh cayenne (30,000 to 50,000 SHU) or even Thai peppers (50,000 to 100,000 SHU).
Of course, you could opt to omit the fresh chili altogether. You’ll still get a touch of warmth from the dish, coming from the paprika, chipotle flakes, and black pepper. And that may be just enough for some.
I use tomatoes, red peppers, and onion in this recipe, and they give the dish a delicious garden-fresh undertone. But don’t be afraid to experiment to make your own take on this spicy sausage casserole. I’ve made it with a lot of variations in the past, and each adds fun depth to the dish. Try it with added carrots, turnips, or zucchini for something new. All work well, and so would many other vegetables.
As to the serving, spicy sausage casserole can be either a hearty side or a full meal. Serve it with potatoes, rice, or (my favorite) some crusty bread with fresh butter.
Lastly, this dish is great for storing. Keep in airtight containers in the refrigerator for up to three days or freeze for up to two months for those nights when you are too tired to cook.
Spicy Sausage Casserole
- 10 pork sausages
- 1 tin tomatoes
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon chipotle flakes
- ½ teaspoon black ground pepper
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 cups broth
- 2 red chili peppers you can choose your strength
- 1 large red pepper
- 1 large yellow onion
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Add sausages to a large casserole dish.
- Cook the sausages for 10 minutes in preheated oven.
- Combine the tinned tomatoes, paprika, chipotle flakes, ground pepper, chopped garlic cloves, chopped red peppers, chopped chili pepper, and diced onion.
- Add mixture and the broth to the partly cooked sausages and cover.
- Cook in the oven for a further 50 minutes.
- Serve immediately or portion for later.