Spicy roasted chickpeas are a super-snack, a much healthier alternative to chips. Really, their flavor and texture will keep you coming back for more. These mighty little legumes soak up flavor fast. Plus, they offer the perfect opportunity to use up those old spices sitting in the back of your cupboard. We offer one spice combo here but feel free to mix up the flavors until you find your perfect combination. For instance, we have a spicier version of homemade roasted chickpeas, featuring cayenne pepper. Use your imagination to bring these chickpeas to life.
For the best result, you should make sure the chickpeas are as dry as possible before the initial baking period. First, rinse thoroughly to make sure the brine is removed as this can prevent the chickpeas from becoming crispy. If you have time, allow to air dry for 30-60 minutes or else you can gently pat them dry with some paper towels first. Be sure to eat the Chickpeas immediately, they will lose their crunch and become chewy if left sitting around for too long.
Looking for additional spicy snacking options? Be sure to check out our homemade smoked paprika potato chips that provide a delicious smoky simmer with every bite. Or these fiery smoked almonds are an excellent healthier choice.
Spicy Roasted Chickpeas
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Remove the chickpeas from the can or jar and rinse them with cold water.
- Place them on a baking tray removing as much moisture as possible.
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes.
- In the meantime combine spices and salt in a small bowl.
- Remove chickpeas from the oven and drizzle over the olive oil and shake the tray so they are all well coated.
- Sprinkle over the mixed spices and salt and shake the tray once again to ensure a thorough coating.
- Roast in the center of the oven for a further 30 minutes or unit perfectly crisp.
- Serve immediately.