Sweet and as spicy as you want…
Here’s a quick and easy spicy red pepper jam recipe from our community member WMB that’s going to be as spicy as you want to make it!
The recipe calls for three sweet peppers and four red chili peppers – dealer’s choice on the latter. You can opt for a very mild red pepper or lean into the standard red jalapeño. You can also turn it up a notch (or three) with the use of Fresno (a touch hotter) or red serrano peppers (often double the heat of the jalapeño). From there – go as high up the scale as you prefer, though warning – it can get mighty spicy. Keep the peppers red, though, as you need the sweetness those mature chilies provide.
Try your spicy red pepper jam atop toast, with cheese and crackers, or as a side to cream cheese (or even mixed together) for dipping. It’s also delicious as a side sauce for grilled pork or salmon. We also love spicy red pepper jellies and jams as the perfect alternative condiment for turkey burgers. Skip that ketchup and mustard and go for something a little extra sweet and fiery. You won’t be disappointed.
- 4 red chili peppers chopped, each chili approximately 2/12 inches long
- 3 sweet red peppers approximately 1 lb, washed, seeded, and chopped coarse
- 1 onion chopped coarse
- 4 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 cups distilled white vinegar
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 6 whole cloves
- 6 ounces liquid pectin 6 ounce bottle
- In a food processor fitted with the steel blade, grind coarse the red peppers, onion, and chili peppers. Transfer the mixture to a cheesecloth lined colander.
- Toss the vegetables with 1-1/2 teaspoons of salt. Let them drain for three hours then squeeze them gently dry.
- In a heavy stainless steel pot combine the vegetables with the sugar, vinegar, lemon juice, cloves, and the rest of the salt. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring and boiling constantly for 10 minutes.
- Add the pectin and boil the mixture for 1 minute more.
- Pour the jelly into sterilized glasses and seal with paraffin. Store in a cool dark place.