One of the best fall spicy soups around…
We love this soup not just because it’s spicy, but because it literally uses a big portion of all that’s spicy from the spice rack. You’ve got chipotle, paprika, chili powder, and cayenne pepper powder all in one dish.
Oh yeah, it’s tasty. This is like fall in a bowl. It just makes you feel cozy and warm inside. If you need to lessen the heat, simply drop the chipotle from the recipe and stick with the other powders.
Spicy Pumpkin Soup
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 pound pumpkin peeled, seeded, and cubed
- 1 white onion minced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 carrot minced
- 1 chipotle pepper crumbled (or 1 tablespoon chipotle powder)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne powder
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon coriander
- 1/2 cup cream
- CIlantro (garnish)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Over medium heat, add oil into a soup pot. Sauté the pumpkin, onion, carrot, garlic and a dash of salt until the vegetables have just begun to soften.
- Increase the heat from medium to medium-high and add in the spices, chipotle, and bay leaf. Heat for 30 seconds.
- Pour in 3 cups of the vegetable stock and bring the mix to a boil. Then simmer the soup until the vegetables have fully softened. Remove the bay leaf.
- Pour the soup into a blender and puree until smooth.
- Pour the soup back into the soup pot and add in the cream and the last coup of broth. Bring the soup to a boil and then simmer for 3 to 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Top with cilantro when serving.