Pumpkin sweet, with a hint of heat…
Now this is a pumpkin pudding with punch! This isn’t simply a spiced pumpkin pudding, this is spicy. A touch of cayenne pepper powder among that pumpkin pie spice provides the sizzle. It really adds a balance to the sweetness of the vanilla pudding and pumpkin in the recipe. If you aren’t ready to invest the time into baking a cayenne-spiced pumpkin pie, this quick-to-make dessert is a terrific alternative. Topped with granola and nuts, it even has a crust-like crunch with each spoonful.
Spicy Pumpkin Pudding
For the pudding
- In a mixing bowl, combine the milk, half of the heavy whipping cream (1/2 cup), vanilla pudding mix, pumpkin pie spice, and cayenne pepper. Whisk the ingredients until they thicken.
- Add the canned pumpkin and stir to fully combine.
For the whipped cream
- Place 1/2 cup of heavy whipping cream in a mixing bowl and whisk it vigorously until the cream thickens and peaks form in the cream.
Garnish and serve
- Serve immediately or for best flavor, chill the pudding for 1 hour then serve.
- Separate the pudding into glass dessert cups. Top each cup with the whipped cream and sprinkle extra pumpkin pie spice and/or cayenne pepper. Top the whipped cream with granola and nuts.