Now this is truly a spicy pumpkin bread. It’s not just deliciously spiced with the warm flavor of pumpkin pie spice – it has real pepper heat that simmers alongside. All it takes is half a teaspoon of cayenne powder to bring a little edge to the bread. Feel free to experiment with the amount of cayenne used. For those that like only a touch of spicy – a quarter teaspoon may be just enough.
This is a perfect breakfast loaf, or try it as a tasty dessert bread topped with smooth and rich vanilla ice cream.
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit and grease two 8.5 x 4.5 inch loaf pans.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda, cayenne pepper powder, baking powder, and kosher salt. Mix thoroughly.
- In a mixer, add the unsalted butter and mix the butter until smooth and creamy.
- Add the sugar to the butter and beat the sugar/butter mix for approximately 3 minutes.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating each separately into the butter/sugar mix.
- Add the pumpkin puree and vanilla extract, and mix slowly until combined. Then slowly mix in the spiced flour until fully combined in the batter.
- Pour the batter into the greased loaf pans, then place the loaf pans in the oven. Bake the spicy pumpkin bread for 65 to 70 minutes, until cooked through.
- Remove the loaf pans and place them on a rack to cool for 15 to 20 minutes. Once cool, remove the bread from the loaf pans. Slice and serve.