A boldly fruity fiery dipping sauce…
Plum sauce is a delicious side to Chinese food, particularly anything that’s fried. Sweet, sour, and – in our case – fiery, this bold condiment really provides a real punch to fried egg rolls in particular.
Beyond Chinese, try this spicy plum sauce as a chicken tender dipper. The heat comes comes simply from common cayenne pepper powder, so it’s easy to control and adjust. This is an excellent alternative to your typical barbecue dipping sauce.
Spicy Plum Sauce
- Over medium heat in a saucepan, cook the chopped plum, brown sugar, garlic, ginger, vinegar, cloves, and cayenne powder until it reaches a boil, then reduce the heat to low.
- Simmer the mix for 20 minutes, stirring frequently, until the plum softens and the sauce thickens to your desired thickness.
- Remove the sauce from the heat and add the soy sauce. Stir to combine.
- Allow the sauce to cool to room temperature, then using a food processor, process the sauce to your desired smoothness (optional if you like the sauce a little chunky).
- Use immediately, or for best flavor refrigerate overnight in an airtight container to allow the flavors to meld.