Bring on the smoke…
Brown sugar is a staple for many tasty baked bean recipes- it’s earthy and sweet, perfect for the rustic flavor of this popular BBQ side. But that extra sugar isn’t the best option for everyone. If you’re cutting the sugar from your life, here’s a no-sugar baked bean recipe that still provides plenty of flavor, including a nice level of heat.
Liquid stevia subs in for the sweetness while a little liquid smoke and chipotle powder bring the fire and an earthy smoke to the side. This is a slow cooker recipe, so plan ahead. You’ll need time to both soak the beans (8 hours) and slow cook the heck out of these ingredients (another 8) to get a nice smoky flavor through and through.
Spicy No-Sugar Baked Beans
Prep the beans
- Soak the navy beans in 1 cup of water for 8 hours (overnight works well).
- Make the baked beans (slow cooker)
Set the slow cooker to low
- Add all ingredients, except the salt and pepper, to the slow cooker. Stir well.
- Cover the beans and allow them to cook for 8 to 10 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Turn off heat and add salt, pepper, and extra chipotle powder to taste.
- Serve immediately.