Mushroom stroganoff is a classic and deliciously warming dish, and in this recipe we turn it up another notch or two. We spice it up with a duo of dried spices: smoky chipotle flakes and a touch of cayenne pepper. Together they add a touch of fire, and that chipotle adds a nice hint of smoke to go with the earthiness of those mushrooms and black pepper.
Our mushroom stroganoff isn’t overly spicy as the recipe sits now. You can, of course, adjust that heat by increasing the cayenne pepper. Keep the chipotle flakes as it stands in the recipe, as you’d be adding more smokiness as well. The cayenne is neutral in taste, so it’s a great way to increase the spiciness without impacting general flavor. If you want it milder, just cut the cayenne pepper completely. The chipotle flakes alone give the dish a subtler heat.
Now, how to use our spicy mushroom stroganoff? It works as either a meal or a side enhancer. It’s a perfect pairing with rice to make a primary meal of it. Or, pour it atop a baked potato to create a heartier side for a larger meal.
This dish can be stored in the refrigerator for a few days and reheated. But note: the texture of the mushrooms may change some. Don’t worry, it will still taste delicious.
Spicy Mushroom Stroganoff
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 shallots chopped finely
- 2 cloves garlic chopped finely
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper powder adjust according to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried chipotle flakes
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 cups sliced mushrooms using 3 different mushrooms works well
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 teaspoon dried chopped chives
- ½ cup vegetable stock or chicken stock
- 1 cup double cream
- Place a large pan over medium heat and add the butter. Stir until melted.
- Add the shallots and chopped garlic. Sauté for 2 minutes, stirring throughout.
- Add the cayenne pepper, chipotle flakes, and black pepper to the pan. Stir to combine.
- Add the chopped mushrooms and stir to avoid sticking.
- Add mustard, flour, and chives. Mix thoroughly to avoid any lumps in the flour.
- Pour in the stock and simmer for 10 minutes on a low heat.
- Stir in the cream and simmer for 2 more minutes.
- Serve with rice or on a baked potato.