What’s better than the creamy, earthy flavor of cream of mushroom soup? How about adding a delicious cayenne-inspired kick? It’s a homey heat that’ll warm you right up in many different ways. This soup is so filling it’s like a meal of its own.
The amount of cayenne pepper used provides a decent amount of heat here. Feel free to halve the mount used (or more) if you’re concerned about the overall spiciness. Note: There’s a little extra warmth from a sprinkle of paprika to add some color to the plate as well.
Or, if you want to double down on the spice, upgrade that paprika garnish to some additional cayenne powder. Don’t go too heavy-handed if you do – a little extra cayenne can go a long way here.
See our spicy mushroom soup being made:
Like this recipe? You’ll love these too:
- Mushrooms With Chipotle Peppers: Smoky and earthy meet.
- Extra-Hot Hellfire Noodles: A cacophony of ingredients and plenty of heat.
- Spicy Mushroom Risotto: A traditional Italian meal with a fiery twist.
Spicy Mushroom Soup
- 4 ounces shiitake mushrooms sliced into chunks
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 shallots diced
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons white flour
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon rosemary
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- 1 tablespoon chives
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Paprika for sprinkling as garnish
- Pour broth into a large soup pot and bring the broth to a boil.
- Add the shitake mushrooms, black pepper, cayenne pepper, rosemary, and thyme. Continue to boil, stirring occasionally, for approximately 10 minutes. Then lower heat to simmer.
- In a sauté pan, melt the butter then add the shallots, garlic, and chives and sauté for 2 minutes. Then add flour, stir, and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add 2 to 3 cups of the broth to the sauté pan and stir to combine, removing any lumps from the mix.
- Pour the mix in the sauté pan back into the soup pot, then increase heat to medium. Stir for another 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove the soup pot from the heat, then using a food processor, process the soup until you reach your desired smooth consistency.
- Add the heavy cream and stir to combine. Place the soup pot back on medium heat for 4 to 5 minutes to heat it for serving.
- Plate the soup, then sprinkle paprika across the soup. Serve.