Meaty and crisp, so yum…
There’s a special place in our hearts for spicy Mongolian beef. It’s all the delicious combos you find in this simple meal that make it so great: meaty and crisp, salty and spicy, warm and sweet. It’s all there, and for all that flavor it doesn’t take that long at all to prepare.
Crushed red pepper is the fiery flavor here, along with a little warmth from fresh ginger. It’s an exotic spiciness without being overwhelming. And, of course, it’s up to you if you want it spicier. Adding more CRP is as easy as a pinch.
Spicy Mongolian Beef
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger minced
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 pounds flank steak
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Cooked rice
- 1 bunch scallions chopped
- Sesame seeds
Make The Sauce
- In a mixing bowl, combine the water, soy sauce, and brown sugar and stir thoroughly.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, sauté the ginger and garlic in 1 tablespoon vegetable oil until aromatic. Approximately 1 minute.
- Add the soy sauce and brown sugar mix to the ginger and garlic. Stir to combine, then bring the mix to a boil. Lower the heat and allow the sauce to simmer for 15 minutes (or until thickened).
Make The Steak
- Cut the flank steak into thin slices (approximately 1/4 inch wide), then coat the flank steak pieces with the cornstarch. Place to the side.
- Heat the vegetable oil (1 cup) in a saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Once the oil is hot, drop the flank steak slices into the oil (this may take two rounds). Cook the steak for 1 minute, then flip the piece. Cook for another 1 to 2 minutes until the steak is brown and lightly crispy.
- Remove the flank steak from the oil and add it and crushed red pepper to the sauce. Heat the dish over medium while stirring to coat the meat (approximately 1 minute).
- Place the cooked rice in a bowl, then top it with the spicy Mongolian steak. Garnish the steak with scallions and sesame seeds.