You can’t go wrong with rich chocolatey cookies with a hint of smoky spiciness. That’s the premise behind these spicy Mexican hot chocolate cookies. Cocoa powder and chocolate chips provide a sweet foil to smoky chipotle powder and fiery cayenne pepper. It’s a mouth explosion of earthy sweet and a wisp of smoke and heat.
If heat is of concern, pull back on the cayenne pepper used. One-fourth of a teaspoon will provide a much milder experience. You could also opt to remove the cayenne altogether and just rely on the chipotle powder.
If you’re looking to increase the heat, try this: Dust the cookies with a little chipotle powder before serving. Just a light dusting provides a more immediate smoky heat experience.
Like this recipe? You’ll love these too:
- Chipotle Chocolate Chip Cookies: A classic also brought to smoky life with chipotle.
- Spicy Ginger Snap Cookies: Here we pair the warmth of ginger and cinnamon with cayenne pepper.
- Fiery Chocolate Chip Habanero Cookies: A step up in spiciness. The habs pack a punch, and the sweetness of the chilies pairs well with the chocolate.
Spicy Mexican Hot Chocolate Cookies
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup butter room temperature (2 sticks butter)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit and prep 2 baking sheets by lining them with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the white sugar, butter, vanilla extract, and kosher salt. Using a beater, beat the mix until fluffy.
- To the mix, add in the eggs, cream of tartar, and baking soda – continue beating to combine.
- Add to the bowl the flour, cocoa powder, cinnamon, cayenne pepper powder, and chipotle powder. Continue beating to combine.
- Add the chocolate chips to the batter and stir until combined.
- Using a scoop, scoop the batter into standard sized cookie balls onto the parchment covered baking sheets.
- Place the baking sheets into the oven and bake for 10 minutes, or until the cookie edges begin to slightly crack.
- Remove the baking sheets from the oven and move the cookies over to cooling racks. Allow them to cool for 5 minutes prior to serving.
- OPTIONAL: Lightly sprinkle the cookies with chipotle powder (or a chipotle/sugar mix) to add a more immediate spiciness and smokiness to the cookie.