Indian food is known for being enticingly fragrant (and delicious) and this spicy Indian lentil dhal is no exception. It’s a buttery, fiery, and wholesome dish – total comfort. And it’s remarkably versatile – serve it as an appetizer or side with pita bread or use it as the protein (lentils have plenty atop a simple salad. Seriously, it’ll take your healthy lunch salad to new heights of flavor.
And the versatility doesn’t end there. Spicy Indian lentil dhal can also (and easily) be transformed into a fragrant and hearty soup. Just add some extra water to this recipe based on your desired soup thickness. You may also need to adjust some of the spices, too, to fit – particularly the curry powder. And, of course, that cayenne pepper powder may need a pinch more to keep the heat at a comparable level.
This is also one of those “make on Sunday, enjoy all week” type of meals – perfect for those lunch salads! In terms of storage and reheating: You can store spicy Indian lentil dhal in Tupperware for up to five days. Simply reheat a portion on the stove or microwave until piping hot.
Spicy Indian Lentil Dhal
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 inch fresh ginger
- 1 red chili jalapeno or birdseye work well
- 1 cup orange lentils a.k.a. red lentils
- 1 cube vegetable stock or chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper powder
- 1 cups boiling water
- Place a large sauce pan over medium heat and add the butter. Stir occasionally until melted.
- Peel and finely chop the onion, garlic, ginger, and chili. Add them to the butter then cook for 5 minutes until the onions are translucent and beginning to brown.
- Add the cumin, turmeric, curry powder, and cayenne pepper. Stir for a few minutes until they become fragrant.
- Crumble in the stock cube and add the boiling water. Stir until dissolved.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes, topping up with water if required.
- Remove from the heat and serve with pita bread or atop a salad.