Mixed nuts and chili pepper are quite the natural pairing. After all, they are a snack that’s full of earthy flavor. And that works so well with heat. And sweet. So it’s no surprise that spicy honey cashews are such a hit whenever they’re around.
Spicy honey cashews are easy to make and chock full of flavor. As “grab and go” snacks go (once you’ve made a batch), options don’t get much better. We use cayenne pepper for the heat here, but one of the great things about this recipe is its versatility. Try using chipotle powder instead for a smoky twist, or go with a sweet paprika for more of a warming kick. You can also swap out the honey for maple syrup for a twist on the sugary flavor.
The key to delicious spicy honey cashews is to stir continuously while cooking, so the cashews don’t end up sticking together and the honey doesn’t drip off. And if you’d prefer something a little more subdued in both the heat and sweet department, you can simply double up on the cashews used.
The nuts will keep in a jar or Tupperware for up to 3 days but, being extremely moreish, we have a feeling they won’t last that long.
Like this spicy snack recipe? You’ll love these too:
- Spicy Mixed Nuts: This recipe uses cayenne, too, but pairs it with earthy cumin, warming cinnamon, and tangy lime juice for a unique flavor twist.
- Fiery Smoked Almonds: The smokiness really works with almonds, coming from smoked paprika with a little additional spiciness from cayenne.
- Smoked Paprika Potato Chips: Another delicious use of smoked paprika and totally fun to make at home.
Spicy Honey Cashews
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit
- Combine olive oil, honey, cayenne pepper powder, paprika and salt
- Stir the mixture into the cashew nuts until they are completely coated
- Pour them onto a non stick baking tray and spread them out so they are not touching too much
- Cook in the oven for 5 minutes then turn with a spatula
- Repeat 3 times to ensure they do not burn or stick together
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool, stirring every few minutes so they do not stick together
- Enjoy immediately or place in a jar for later.