The perfect use of your mac and cheese leftovers.
So you have just a little mac and cheese leftover from yesterday’s meal? Don’t throw it away! It makes one killer spicy sandwich. This recipe will make you seriously look at this classic side in a whole different light. And, of course, it tastes even better with a fresh batch of macaroni and cheese, so there’s every reason to cook some up for a fun lunch creation. The heat is provided by crushed red pepper – increase or decrease the amount to your preferred heat level.
Spicy Grilled Mac And Cheese Sandwich
- 3/4 cup macaroni and cheese
- 2 slices thick bread sourdough works well
- 3 slices cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- If the macaroni and cheese is cold (leftovers), heat the mac and cheese by placing it in a non stick pan over medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Butter one side of each piece of your bread, then in a separate pan place the bread butter face-down over medium heat. Place a slice of cheddar on each piece and allow the cheese to melt while grilling the bread to a golden brown.
- Shape the mac and cheese into a square that will fit onto your bread of choice, then top the mac and cheese with the remaining slice of cheddar and allow the cheddar to melt. Sprinkle the melted cheese with the crushed red pepper.
- Transfer the mac and cheese square to one of the pieces of bread, then top with the other (grilled side up). If needed, continue to grill until the sandwich is golden brown on both sides.
- Remove from heat, slice in half, and serve.