Fiery feel good…
The grilled cheese is the epitome of feel-good comfort food, and it’s also one of the most fun meals to riff on because it’s so easy to make. A little chopped jalapeño pepper, onion, and tomato go a long way to turning the basic into a true fiery feel-good experience.
If you want it even spicier (we say, “yes please”), try picking up some serrano peppers as a jalapeño substitute in the recipe. They provide a comparable flavor profile with double the heat.
- 4 slices bread
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 slices cheddar cheese
- 1 jalapeño pepper roughly chopped
- 1 vine ripened tomato sliced
- 1/4 onion roughly chopped
- Butter one side of each piece of bread.
- Heat a skillet or pan over low heat, then lay two of the bread slices (butter side down) into the pan. On each bread slice, place 2 slices of cheddar cheese and 2 tomato slices, then top with jalapeño and onion.
- Place the two other bread slices on top of the sandwiches, butter side up.
- Continue to grill the sandwich until the bottom side is a golden brown, then flip the sandwich. Continue to grill until the other side is a golden brown as well.
- Remove the sandwiches from the grill, cut in half, and serve.