A smoky, fiery take on the green bean classic…
Here’s a little twist on the classic green bean casserole that many of us grew up with. It has all of the cream of mushroom goodness you expect, but the added kick is smoky
Keep the recipe handy for any time of year. Spicy green bean casserole is one of those versatile sides that works just as well as a BBQ side as it does next to a holiday ham or turkey. Plus, it’s an excellent way to use a ton of those fresh green beans from your garden (though canned cut green beans work well too).,
Spicy Green Bean Casserole
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
Steam the green beans
- In a skillet over medium-high heat add the water and the green beans.
- Bring the water to a boil then cover the skillet. Allow the green beans to steam for 4 to 5 minutes, then remove the cover and transfer the beans to a dish. Place to the side.
Make and bake the spicy green bean casserole
- In a large bowl, combine the cream of mushroom soup, chipotle pepper powder, and salt. Stir well to combine.
- Add the thawed green beans and 3/4 cup french fried onions. Stir well until fully combined.
- Pour the mix into a 1 1/2 quart baking dish. Spread the mix evenly.
- Bake the casserole for 30 minutes, then stir well and taste. Add additional salt and/or chipotle pepper powder to taste.
- Top the casserole with the remaining french fried onions and bake for an additional 5 minutes or until the french fried onions are lightly browned.
- Remove from oven and allow the green bean casserole to cool for 5 minutes. Serve.