Hello smoky sizzle…
Granola is one of those perfect “pick me up” foods – whether as a morning breakfast or afternoon snack it gives you a nice boost of energy (and it tastes pretty good too!). You’ll find many recipes for spiced granola, but spicy granola? Well that’s another story. We like our granola with a little sizzle…in fact smoky sizzle in this recipe.
The heat comes from a mix of smoked paprika and cayenne pepper powder. You can control the smoke to heat levels by adjusting the amounts in the recipe according to what you want. Less smoke, more heat? Lower the smoked paprika, increase the cayenne. The spiciness makes this more a snacking granola than a breakfast option (but hey – we certainly don’t judge – we reach for heat at breakfast all the time).
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees Fahrenheit and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the canola oil, maple syrup, sesame seeds, smoked paprika, salt, cumin, ground ginger, cayenne pepper, and ground mustard. Stir well.
- In a separate bowl, combine the oats, cashews, and pumpkin seeds.
- Pour the seasoned oil over the oat mix and stir to fully coat the oats.
- Evenly space the coated oats over the parchment-lined baking sheet (you may need more than 1 baking sheet), then place the baking sheets in the oven.
- Bake the granola for 1 hour, flipping the oats every 10 to 15 minutes to allow for even browning.
- Remove the granola from the oven and place on paper towels for 5 to 10 minutes to remove any excess oil.
- Eat immediately or store in an airtight container for future use.