So many spices, plus an extra kick!
Traditional spiced gingerbread cookies already feature many delicious festive spices, like cloves, cinnamon, and allspice. All three are here, plus the addition of cayenne pepper powder for a spicy kick. Paired with the ground ginger powder, that’s a delicious amount of heat in these cookies. Be sure to label these cookies as “hot!” when serving to family and friends!
Extra Spicy Gingerbread Cookies
- 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup molasses
- 1 cup dark brown sugar packed
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoon allspice
- 2 tablespoons ground ginger powder
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper powder double it for more heat
- 1 teaspoon cloves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
Prepare the extra spicy gingerbread cookie dough
- Sift together into a bowl the flour, baking powder, and baking soda.
- In a separate large bowl, combine the brown sugar and butter and stir using a wooden spoon or a food processor.
- Add in the ground ginger, cinnamon, allspice, cloves, cayenne pepper powder, and salt. Continue to slowly stir.
- Add in the eggs and molasses and slowly stir to combine.
- Add in the flour mix and water, and continue to slowly stir until the dough is thickened and consistent.
- Cover the dough and let it sit in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
Bake the cookies
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Roll out 1/3 of the dough until cookie thin on a pre-floured surface.
- Use your favorite cookie cutters to cut out cookie shapes.
- Place the cookies onto a lightly greased cookie sheet, approximately 2 inches apart.
- Bake the cookies for 8 to 10 minutes, then removed from the heat and transfer them to a wire rack to cool.
- Decorate your gingerbread cookies with your favorite icing.