Southern fried bite…
Whether as an appetizer or side, spicy fried pickles sure hit the Southern-fried spot. It’s a mix of crunch and cayenne that’ll tickle your taste buds. Pair these pickles with our spicy ranch dressing, and you’ve got a perfect party pleaser.
You can increase the spiciness by adding additional cayenne pepper, but if you want a true step up in heat, skip the pickles and try our fried jalapeño slices instead. Looking to lower the heat? Opt for generic paprika instead of cayenne (not hot paprika), or a mix of the two. It’ll provide a much more subtle tickle.
Like it? See this recipe being made…
Spicy Fried Pickles
- Line a baking pan with a double layer of paper towels.
- Pour vegetable oil into a large pot, then heat the oil at 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a bowl, combine the buttermilk, egg, and Tabasco. Stir to combine.
- In a second bowl combine the flour, cayenne pepper, and garlic powder. Stir to combine.
- If the pickles are whole, slice the pickles into chips. Otherwise, drain the chips from the pickle juice.
- Add the pickle chips to the buttermilk. Thoroughly coat the chips.
- Transfer 10 chips into the flour mix and coat.
- Place the pickle chips into the hot vegetable oil. Fry the pickles until golden brown (approximately 4 minutes).
- Transfer the fried pickles to the tray lined with paper towels to allow them to dry.
- Repeat the process above until all the pickle chips are cooked.
- Serve the fried pickles with a spicy ranch dressing or your favorite condiment.
See our spicy Sriracha ranch dressing as an excellent pairing for these spicy fried pickles.