An exotic alternative to sweet French toast.
If you’ve ever only experienced French toast topped with sugar and sweet fruits, you’re in for something completely different with this spicy French toast recipe. It’s savory and exotic with a touch of Indian spices, green chilies and cayenne. The topping, too – spiced onions and garlic – is unexpectedly delicious. And while it’s not sweet, its savoriness actually pairs very well with a side of sweet fruits like berries, grapes, and apples.
- Heat the oil in a pan to medium.
- In a large bowl, combine the milk, 1 teaspoon green chili peppers, 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper, eggs, 1 teaspoon turmeric, and salt. Whisk until fully mixed.
- Submerge the bread in the egg mix, coating both sides.
- Place the bread on the heated pan and cook to a golden brown on each side.
- Remove toast from the pan, then add additional oil to the pan.
- Add the onions, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon green chilies, 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, and 1/2 teaspoon turmeric. Sauté until the onions are translucent.
- Top the french toast with the onion/chili mix, then serve.