Onion sweet with a touch of fire…
French onion soup isn’t the quickest soup to make, but if you’re in the mood for a hearty, feel-good “soup-like-a-meal”, there are few that deliver better. We spice up this recipe with just a touch of cayenne pepper – it provides just enough simmer without disrupting the flavor balance. This is a memorable lunch just waiting to happen, especially with a side of sliced baguette. Just plan ahead…
Spicy French Onion Soup
- 2 sweet onions sliced thin into strips
- 1 1/4 cup beef stock
- 1 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 cup grated Gruyere cheese
- 1/3 cup red wine
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon flour
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper powder
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 baguette sliced into 1/2 inch thick pieces
- Parsley garnish, optional
- In a large saucepan (or soup pot), melt the butter over medium-low.
- Add the sweet onions to the melted butter, along with a dash of salt and pepper. Stir the onions to coat in the butter, then cover. Let the onions cook slowly, for 75 to 90 minutes, stir occasionally (every 10 to 15 minutes), until the onions are caramelized.
- Uncover once the onions are caramelized, then increase the heat to medium. Add the flour and stir the onions for 1 minute to coat them with flour.
- Add the red wine, and stir, scraping (with a plastic scraper or wooden spoon) any excess onion from pan bottom and sides.
- Add the cayenne pepper, lemon, fresh thyme, and bay leaf, and give a quick stir to combine the ingredients.
- Add the beef and chicken stocks, then increase the heat to high. Stir occasionally while bringing the soup to a boil. Then lower the heat to medium and allow the soup to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Transfer the soup into oven-safe bowls, then place a slice of the baguette on top. Sprinkle the soup and baguette with the Gruyere cheese, then with the Parmesan.
- Turn the oven broiler on high. Place the soup bowls onto a baking pan, and place the soups under the broiler. Broil the soups until the cheese melts and lightly browns.
- Remove the bowls from the broiler and garnish with parsley (optional). Serve immediately.