Our spicy cucumber relish just isn’t about the heat. There’s a touch of sweetness here, too, making it a flavorful foil to all sorts of fried or barbecued meats. It’s tasty served as a side to steak or simply sprinkled atop a hot dog. But don’t overlook it as a salad topping, too. It brings life to a plain Jane salad without tipping the scale on calories.
The recipe calls for green chili peppers. Jalapeños are, of course, a great choice, but other green chilies work as well. Opting for a milder Anaheim pepper or a hotter serrano are all simple swaps.
Spicy cucumber relish, if stored properly, can last for up to a month sealed in a sterilized jar and refrigerated. When opened (or if serving it immediately), use the relish within one week.
Like this recipe? You’ll love these too:
- Habanero Relish: Want a condiment that’ll light things up? Habs deliver here.
- Cranberry Jalapeño Relish: This one is an excellent fiery side for holidays and special meals.
- Piri-Piri Hellfire Brandy: This spicy condiment is so tasty when drizzled over chicken.
Shop Our Spicery On Etsy
Jalapeño and Chipotle "Yin and Yang" Set
This spice pack showcases two sides to the jalapeño. Ground green is bright and grassy while ground chipotle is earthy and smoky. Together, they have you covered for many needs in the kitchen.Buy Now
Support PepperScale by purchasing our fiery spices. Subscribers get 15% off!
Spicy Cucumber Relish
Spicy and slightly sweet – perfect paired with fried and grilled meats or served atop a salad.
- 4 baby cucumbers
- 1 yellow onion
- 2 green chili peppers Jalapeño works well
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Chop the cucumbers into small cubes.
- Peel and finely chop the onion.
- Slice the chilies, removing the seeds prior.
- Combine the cucumber cubes, onion, and chili in a bowl with the mustard seeds and salt.
- Heat the vinegar, sugar, and water until boiling.
- Add the cucumber mixture to a sterilized jar, then pour over the liquid.
- Seal the jar and refrigerate when cooled.
- Keep in the refrigerator for up to 1 month and use within a week of opening.
Calories: 19kcalCarbohydrates: 4gProtein: 0.2gFat: 0.1gSaturated Fat: 0.01gPolyunsaturated Fat: 0.02gMonounsaturated Fat: 0.04gSodium: 147mgPotassium: 32mgFiber: 0.2gSugar: 4gVitamin A: 15IUVitamin C: 1mgCalcium: 5mgIron: 0.1mg
Did you make this?Mention @PepperScale or tag #PepperScale so we can see what you made!