Hearty and warm in so many ways…
With this crab bisque you not only get that homey, fill-you-up warmth, you also enjoy a little cayenne oomph to go with it! The bittersweetness of tarragon complements the spice and cream perfectly to give this bisque even more flavor depth. Best of all, it takes surprisingly little time to make.
Spicy Crab Bisque
- 1 pound lump crab meat
- 3 shallots minced
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 cup dry sherry
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper powder
- 1 teaspoon tarragon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Croutons and additional cayenne pepper powder for garnish
- Place a soup pot over medium heat, then add the butter and oil.
- When butter is melted, add in the shallots and sauté for 3 minutes (until translucent).
- Add the chicken stock, heavy cream, and cayenne pepper powder. Mix thoroughly while bringing the pot to a simmer.
- Lower the heat, then add in the crabmeat and tarragon and continue to cook the soup for 5 minutes.
- Add the sherry, stir, and continue to cook the soup for 3 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, then serve garnished with sprinkled cayenne powder and croutons.