These greens are fiery good…
We’re big fans of collard greens, but adding in a little fiery sizzle to go along with salty bacon really takes this spicy collard greens recipe to new heights. This is a perfect BBQ side – whether for grilled chicken, pulled pork, or steaks. The spiciness is from the spice rack staple – crushed red pepper. It’s easy to control how much heat you want. For the optimal flavor, it’s best to add in the CRP before covering and simmering the collard greens (step 6), but you can adjust to taste on the back-end right before serving.
Spicy Collard Greens
- In a large high-sided saucepan over medium heat, heat the olive oil.
- Cook the bacon in the pan until golden brown. Remove the bacon and chop it up/crumble it, then place it back in the pan.
- Add the yellow onion and cook, stirring often, until the onion is translucent.
- Add the garlic and continue to cook, stirring often, for 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Add the collard greens and continue to cook, stirring often, until the greens are wilted (approximately 3 to 4 minutes).
- Add the chicken broth, salt, black pepper, and crushed red pepper. Stir to combine, then reduce the heat to low and cover.
- Simmer the collard greens, covered, for 40 to 45 minutes, then remove from the heat.
- Stir once more, then test taste the collard greens. Add more salt, black pepper, or crushed red pepper to taste. Serve.