Now this is a decadent dessert with just enough spice to warm the palate and enough sweetness to keep you coming back for more. Dare I say it, this simple spicy cinnamon rolls recipe results in a cinnamon bun even better than your favorite fast-food or store brand. And that extra spice (via cayenne pepper powder) just cranks up the addictiveness even higher.
Plan ahead. You will need some time on your hands to prepare this one, with two rising periods you will need at least three hours to complete the recipe. You also have the option to freeze the cinnamon rolls after the second proofing time so you can cook them whenever you have guests. Simply add 5 minutes to the cooking time if cooking from frozen.
If you like spicy cinnamon rolls, be sure to check out some of our spicy bread recipes that are perfect options for morning-time as well. Both our spicy pumpkin bread and banana bread bring the bold to breakfast in delicious ways.
Spicy Cinnamon Rolls
- ½ cup butter
- 1 cup milk
- ⅓ cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 package active yeast 2 ½ teaspoons
- 4 cups plain flour
- 1 teaspoon ground sea salt
- ½ cup butter
- ½ cup cream cheese
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Prepare the Dough
- Heat the milk in a microwave for 1 minute.
- Mix the sugar and butter together in a stand mixer with a dough hook on slow speed.
- Slowly pour the milk into the mixer and add the yeast and eggs.
- Mix for a few minutes then add flour and salt then leave on low for 10 minutes.
- Set the dough aside to rise for 60 minutes or until doubled in size.
Making the Cinnamon Rolls
- Prepare the filling by mixing the brown sugar, butter, cinnamon, and cayenne pepper together (microwave for 20 seconds if needed to soften).
- Roll the dough into a rectangle and spread the spicy cinnamon mixture gently over top.
- Start to roll along the long edge and create a long cylinder shape ready to cut into rolls.
- Grease a large, deep baking tray.
- Use a sharp knife to cut the rolled-up dough into slices around 1 inch in thickness then place them into the greased tray leaving a little space between each one to allow for rising.
- Set aside for 1 hour to rise.
Baking the Cinnamon Rolls
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit then bake the rolls for 20-25 minutes or until turning golden brown.
- Meanwhile, combine the creamed cheese, butter, powdered sugar, and vanilla in a small bowl until smooth and creamy.
- Remove the cinnamon rolls from the oven and smother with the cream cheese topping while still hot.
- Allow to cool, then enjoy!