Taco nights are fun not only because tacos are fun to eat, they’re also fun to put together to your exact likes. Want a meatier taco? One with extra salsa? The choices are all yours. That’s why we love the DIY plating of a spicy chicken burrito bowl. It’s as meaty, as saucy, or as spicy as you’d like to make it. And it’s plenty filling as a meal, even without any tortilla on the docket.
This spicy chicken burrito bowl recipe is a total “dealer’s choice” meal when it comes to overall spiciness. Jalapeño peppers are the primary heat source here, and they are diced and to the side. So friends and family that’d rather less spice in their chicken burrito bowl can opt to go without. There’s only a minor spiciness on the chicken due to the paprika. Think of it as more of a warmth than any discernible heat.
Like this recipe? You’ll love these too:
- Chipotle Shredded Beef Tacos: Smoky and so flavorful. If you want to upgrade your taco night, this one is a keeper.
- Spicy Beef Taco Salad: A family-favorite for dinner time.
- Seven Layer Taco Dip: Perfect for parties. Serve with tortilla chips.
Spicy Chicken Burrito Bowl
- 4 boneless chicken breasts chopped
- 1 head lettuce shredded
- 2 tomatoes seeds removed, diced
- 1 red onion diced
- 1 lime or 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 jalapeño pepper diced
- 1 can kidney beans 15 ounce can
- 1 can black beans 15 ounce can
- 1 can sweet corn 14.5 ounce can
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro chopped, unpacked
- 1 package taco seasoning
- 1 package shredded Mexican style cheese cheddar and jack mix
- 1 container guacamole
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon adobo seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Jasmine rice cooked
- Chop the raw chicken and place in a large bowl. Add to the bowl the taco seasoning, paprika, adobo seasoning, ground cumin, and dashes of salt and pepper. Coat the chicken evenly.
- In a frying pan over medium heat, heat the olive oil, then add the seasoned chicken. Cook the chicken until cooked through, approximately 8 to 10 minutes, then place the chicken into a bowl and place to the side.
- Drain the cans of kidney beans, black beans, and corn, and place each into small bowls and place to the side.
- Place the rice into a bowl and add the cilantro and the juice of 1 lime (or 2 tablespoons lime juice), stir to evenly combine.
- Place the chopped lettuce, red onion, tomatoes, jalapeños, sour cream, guacamole, and Mexican style shredded cheese into bowls and place to the side.
- Create the chicken burrito bowls: Add the lettuce, rice, and chicken then top with your choice of toppings from the black beans, corn, tomato-jalapeño salsa, sour cream, guacamole, and cheese.