Spicy candied citrus fruit is easy to make and so much more flavorful than the store-bought version. Think of them like little zesty toppings to your favorite desserts (ice cream, cake to name a few options.) You can also use spicy candied citrus fruit in any cake or muffin recipe which asks for citrus peel among the ingredients. It will result in some extra moisture, warmth, and flavor in all of your cakes. And of course, don’t be surprised if you just nibble on one (or a few) on their own.
Pretty much any chili pepper will work well in this recipe. You can go jalapeños for a level of spiciness all can enjoy. Or try something hotter like habaneros for candied fruit with a little more oomph. Just remember: Citrus peel offers a very strong flavor so you may need to adjust the amount you use to get the heat just right for you.
Be sure to allow the fruit to set very well in the refrigerator before cutting into smaller pieces. If required, you can freeze for a quicker result. Tossing in powdered sugar ensures an even sweeter result and dries the fruit out if there is any remaining moisture. Keep in the refrigerator and serve them up when you need a little more zing!
Spicy Candied Citrus Fruit
- 1/2 Grapefruit
- 1 Lemon
- 1 Orange
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 hot chili pepper serrano or jalapeno work well
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- Cut the fruit into slices around 5mm think
- Cut the chili in half
- Place a saucepan over medium heat and add the sugar, honey, and water.
- Cook until the sugar is dissolved
- Add the fruit to the mixture and add the chili pepper cook for around 5-8 minutes or until the peels become translucent
- Remove from the pan and lay onto a flat board and allow to set in the refrigerator for at least one hour
- Cut into small cubes and toss in the powdered sugar to coat
- Add to cakes, ice cream or your favorite dessert