Simple, healthy, and oh so good…
Crafting up a simple broccoli soup – and supplying it with some edge – is easier than you may think. Six total ingredients are all that’s needed. This is as healthy as it is tasty, and quick to make too. Served with a hearty crusty bread and you have a delicious lunch or appetizer.
The spiciness is brought to you by crushed red pepper. As always, control your spiciness by adding more or less. It’s best to add in additional during the last step with the black pepper (step 5) as its easier to control than with the initial use with the broth (step 1). If you’re concerned with the spiciness, cut the red pepper flakes in step one to 1/2 teaspoon and make up any missing heat at the end.
- In a soup pot or high-sided pan over medium heat, combine the vegetable broth and crushed red pepper.
- Allow the broth to warm to medium hot, then add the onion and garlic. Stir occasionally while the broth and vegetables continues to warm.
- Add the chopped broccoli to the broth, then cover the soup pot and allow the broth and vegetables to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Pour the soup into a blender and blend the soup until smooth.
- Return the soup to the pot and heat over medium, adding the black pepper and additional crushed red pepper to taste. Once hot, remove the soup and serve.