Big taste for a bold pasta…
No, this isn’t a pasta sauce you just “whip up”, but if you want an impressive flavor to pair with simple pasta, this spicy bolognese sauce is worth the squeeze. It’s deliciously spiced – slightly exotic with a kick of spice, yet still very traditional in many ways.
The heat comes from both the spicy Italian sausage as well as crushed red pepper. The red pepper is one of the last ingredients added, so add to taste based on your preferred heat level. You may find the spicy Italian sausage is just enough…or if you’re like us, you’ll be reaching for those red pepper flakes for a touch more.
If you want something spicy, but in a different direction, take a gander at our chipotle alfredo sauce. This creamy white sauce has a delicious smoky heat.
- Can whole tomatoes 32 ounce can
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 pound spicy Italian sausage links, casing removed
- 2 carrots diced
- 2 stalks celery diced
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a soup pot or high sided pan over medium heat, add the butter and olive oil. Heat, stirring to combine, until the butter is melted.
- Add the onion, celery, and carrots to the butter/oil mix. Sauté , stirring often, until the onions are softened and translucent (approximately 6 to 7 minutes).
- Break up the Italian sausage into small chunks. Then add the ground beef, spicy Italian sausage, and minced garlic to the pot. Continue cooking, stirring often, until the beef and sausage are cooked through.
- Add the milk, allspice, and nutmeg. Continue cooking, stirring often, for 6 to 8 minutes, or until the milk is cooked down.
- Add the white wine. Continue cooking, stirring often, for 6 to 8 minutes, or until the white wine is close to cooked down.
- Add the tomatoes, beef broth, the bay leaf, and ground thyme. Stir to combine then reduce the heat to low. Simmer the sauce uncovered for 3 hours.
- Add the crushed red pepper, salt, and pepper (all to taste), then serve over your favorite pasta.