One intense orange cocktail…
Blood oranges are such a delicious fruit. Take a normal orange and multiply its flavor by two – it’s just a perfect sweetness, almost berry-like, with that delicious orange tang. This is one bold fruit that matches very well with the spiciness of chili peppers and tequila. This spicy blood orange margarita is one memorable cocktail for all of the above. It’s boldly sweet, spicy, and refreshing.
The recipe uses fresh jalapeño peppers as the heat source, but you could choose to use jalapeño simple syrup instead (or even habanero simple syrup if you want something real spicy). See the recipe notes for details and spicy simple syrup recipe links.
Spicy Blood Orange Margarita
- 2 blood oranges
- 1/2 lime
- 1 1/2 ounces tequila
- 1/2 ounce simple syrup
- 1/4 jalapeño pepper seeds removed and sliced
- Salt for rim of glass
- Juice the blood oranges to get 2 ounces of fresh blood orange juice (4 tablespoons or 1/4 cup).
- Juice the lime to get 3/4 ounce of fresh lime juice (1 1/2 tablespoons).
- In a cocktail shaker, muddle the jalapeño pepper slices, then add the blood orange juice, lime juice, tequila, and simple syrup. Top with ice.
- Cover the shaker, then shake well.
- Rim a rocks glass with salt (optional), then add ice to the glass. Pour the cocktail into the rocks glass and serve.
An alternative: Use homemade jalapeño simple syrup instead of regular simple syrup. If you choose this route, you can opt for no fresh muddled jalapeño (or less of it). For an even spicier option, try habanero simple syrup. Another alternative for a spicier cocktail is to use serrano peppers instead of jalapeños.