Rich, thick, and flavorful…
As a “feel-good” meal, spicy black bean soup checks a whole lot of boxes. It’s thick, full of flavor, and filling.This recipe adds a slight smoky twist, too, which provides a touch more rustic flavor to the dish. The heat is not only provided by jalapeño peppers, but also chipotle powder, adding a nice hint of smoke with every bite. Top with jalapeño rings and/or sour cream and the soup looks nearly as good as it tastes!
Smoky and Spicy Black Bean Soup
- 6 cans black beans 14.5 ounce cans
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 5 jalapeño peppers 4 seeded and minced, plus 1 cut into wheels for garnish
- 2 yellow onions diced
- 1 shallot minced
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons cumin
- 2 tablespoons chipotle powder
- 1 tablespoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- Sour cream optional topping
- In a large soup pot, add the olive oil (and spread it evenly), jalapeño peppers, onions, shallot, and garlic. Cook until the onions are translucent.
- Add in the cumin, chipotle powder, pepper, and oregano. Stir to combine and cook an additional 2 minutes.
- Add the black beans, then the chicken broth and raise the heat to high. Bring the soup to a boil, then lower heat to simmer. Allow the soup to simmer for 45 minutes to thicken slightly.
- Move half of the soup (approximately 5 cups) into a blender and blend until smooth. Then pour the blended soup back into the soup pot.
- Remove from heat and serve with jalapeño rings and/or sour cream.
Photo by TheDeliciousLife CC 2.0