A simple spicy white sauce…
Bechamel sauce just works when other sauces don’t. Don’t want a tomato tangy zing on pasta? Try bechamel. Want to add some homey heft to veggies like cauliflower and broccoli? Same. Yet that ‘tasty but safe’ white sauce can push the envelope still. Spice it up with cayenne pepper powder and your dish turns from simply good to more than memorable. It’s quick to make and fiery good.
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 1 1/2 cup light cream
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon to 1/2 cayenne pepper powder depending on heat tolerance
- 1 tablespoon chicken soup base
- In a saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter then add in the flour. Stir to combine for 1 minute.
- Add the light cream, water, cayenne pepper powder, and chicken soup base, stir to combine.
- Continuing cooking (stirring often) until the sauce thickens to your desired consistency.