Sweet BBQ flavor, smoky chipotle heat…
We love adding heat to BBQ sides, particularly baked beans. They already have that sweet barbecue flavor that’s so ready for a spicy injection to amp things up. In this spicy baked beans recipe, we opt for
We like using Sweet Baby Rays BBQ sauce in this recipe as it has just the right amount of sweetness, but feel free to use your favorite barbecue sauce or make your own. You can also temper the heat by adjusting the amount of chipotle used, though you’ll also lose some smokiness in the bargain.
Smoky And Spicy Baked Beans
- 6 cans Great Northern beans 15 ounce cans
- 6 slices bacon
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 1/4 cups Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ Sauce or your favorite BBQ sauce
- 3/4 cup Guinness beer
- 1/4 cup light molasses
- 3 tablespoons chipotle chilies in adobo sauce minced
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large pan, cook the bacon until crispy, then drain the bacon slices on a paper towel.
- Transfer 2 tablespoons of the bacon drippings into a large mixing bowl. Then dice the bacon and add it to the bowl as well.
- Add the onion, BBQ sauce, Guinness, molasses, dijon mustard, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, and soy sauce to the bowl. Stir to blend completely.
- Add in chipotle chilies and Great Northern beans Stir to blend.
- Place the mix into a baking dish, then bake for 1 hour to allow the sauce to thicken.
- Remove the baking dish from the heat and allow the baked beans to cull for 5 minutes.
- Serve immediately.