You’ll gobble this green…
A cross between guacamole and hummus, spicy avocado hummus (a.k.a. guacamole hummus) is a killer dipper. Jalapeño peppers are the driving spice source, with a little chipotle powder thrown in to provide a smoky undertone and extra kick. If you don’t have chipotle powder at the ready, that’s ok. You can sub out for a pinch of crushed red pepper that you likely have sitting right on the spice rack.
Serve the hummus with your typical dipping sides – fresh cut vegetables and crusty bread are musts, but we also love this with fresh apple slices. The avocado earthiness and jalapeño heat are terrific with the sweetness of apple.
- 1 jalapeño pepper halved lengthwise, seeds and stalk removed
- 1 ripe avocado peeled, pitted, and roughly chopped
- 1 can garbanzo beans 14 ounce can, drained
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/3 cup cilantro leaves
- 1/4 cup tahnini paste
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Vegetables and crusty bread to serve
- Place into a blender the jalapeño, avocado, garbanzo beans, garlic, lime juice, cilantro leaves, tahini paste, honey, cumin and chipotle powder.Place all ingredients except the cut-up veggies, in a food processor. Process until smooth. Makes about 2 cups. Serve with veggies.
- Pulse blend the ingredients until you reach your desired smooth consistency.
- Add salt and pepper, to taste.
- Pour the avocado hummus into a serving dish, and serve with crusty bread (chopped) and vegetables.