You’ll gobble this green! A cross between guacamole and hummus, spicy avocado hummus (a.k.a. guacamole hummus) is a killer dipper. Jalapeño peppers are the driving spice source, with a little chipotle powder thrown in to provide a smoky undertone and extra kick. If you don’t have chipotle powder at the ready, that’s ok. You can sub out for a pinch of crushed red pepper that you likely have sitting right on the spice rack.
Serve the hummus with your typical dipping sides – fresh cut vegetables and crusty bread are musts, but we also love this with fresh apple slices. The avocado earthiness and jalapeño heat are terrific with the sweetness of apple.
Spicy Avocado Hummus
- 1 jalapeño pepper halved lengthwise, seeds and stalk removed
- 1 ripe avocado peeled, pitted, and roughly chopped
- 1 can garbanzo beans 14 ounce can, drained
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/3 cup cilantro leaves
- 1/4 cup tahnini paste
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Vegetables and crusty bread to serve
- Place into a blender the jalapeño, avocado, garbanzo beans, garlic, lime juice, cilantro leaves, tahini paste, honey, cumin and chipotle powder.Place all ingredients except the cut-up veggies, in a food processor. Process until smooth. Makes about 2 cups. Serve with veggies.
- Pulse blend the ingredients until you reach your desired smooth consistency.
- Add salt and pepper, to taste.
- Pour the avocado hummus into a serving dish, and serve with crusty bread (chopped) and vegetables.