Now this is a cake you’ll be tempted to have a second slice of right after the first! Spiced coffee cake is so tasty, even if you aren’t a coffee fan. The caramel frosting tames the coffee flavor just right, like a caramel latte in baked form. It’s rich and sweet — so hard to resist.
The cinnamon and allspice heighten the flavor of this spiced coffee cake. And you’ll experience just a gentle hum of heat from the cayenne pepper powder. If you like things extra hot, feel free to double up on that cayenne pepper for extra zing. And if you typically like your coffee extra milky, it’s totally good to opt for one shot of espresso in the recipe instead of two.
Keep the finished cake in an airtight tin for up to three days. You can also freeze the sponge before frosting to keep it for a later date. It’s a perfect way to prep the dessert well before a special gathering. Simply cool the spiced coffee cake, wrap it in cling film, and freeze. To defrost and ready the frozen cake, leave it at room temperature overnight then apply the frosting as normal.
Spiced Coffee Cake
- Stand mixer
- Loaf tin
- Wire rack
For the cake
For the frosting
- 1 cup butter
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon caramel essence
- 1 tablespoon boiling water
- walnuts for topping (optional)
- Preheat oven to 320 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Add brown sugar and butter to a stand mixer or mix by hand until light and fluffy.
- Pour cold espresso and one egg into the butter and sugar mixture, then mix on medium speed until the mixture become lighter again.
- Add the remaining egg and repeat until light and fluffy.
- Remove from the mixer and sieve in the baking powder, cinnamon, cayenne pepper, and allspice into the cake batter.
- Fold together with a metal spoon, adding the milk until a thick consistency is met.
- Grease a loaf tin and transfer the mixture.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 40 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Add the butter, powdered sugar, caramel essence, and boiling water to a bowl.
- Use a stand mixer on a high speed until smooth and light consistency is reached.
- When the cake is completely cooled, smoother with frosting all over then decorate with walnuts if you desire.
- Store in an airtight tub in a cool dry place. Consume within three days.