Spicy snacking is one of our favorite things to do, though adding smokiness to the table really takes things to another level. These fiery smoked almonds are pure yum and simple to make. Prep only takes 10 minutes and then the remainder of the time is oven time.
So what makes our fiery smoked almonds kick? Smoked paprika brings both a little heat and a decent amount of smoky flavor. A little extra cayenne pepper powder and Tabasco sauce then kick things up a notch. Top it all off with the earthy undertones of cumin, and it’s quite a flavor explosion. Obviously, feel free to adjust the amounts on these fiery ingredients to get the level of spice that you’re comfortable with. The cayenne pepper, especially, can be ratcheted up or down to your liking.
Like this recipe? You’ll love these too:
- Spicy Almonds: These almonds bring the heat without the smoky flavor.
- Spicy Pretzels: This recipe is excellent for those seeking salty and spicy together.
- Smoked Paprika Potato Chips: One of our favorite mild-heat snacks. Earthy, smoky, and a subtle spiciness.
Fiery Smoked Almonds
- 1 pound almonds
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Pinch black pepper
- 2 to 3 dashes Tabasco sauce
- 2 to 3 dashes liquid smoke optional (smoked paprika provides a good smoky flavor already)
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl, add the sugar, smoked paprika, chili powder, salt, garlic powder, cumin, cayenne pepper, and black pepper. Stir to combine.
- Separately in another bowl, combine the egg white and water and whisk thoroughly. Add the Worcestershire sauce, Tabasco sauce, liquid smoke (optional) and stir to combine.
- Pour the spices into the egg mix bowl, then stir to combine.
- Add the almonds to the bowl and stir to coat the almonds completely.
- Transfer the almonds onto the baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Evenly spread the almonds across the sheet.
- Place the almonds into the oven and bake for 20 minutes. Flip the almonds, then lower the heat to 275 degrees Fahrenheit. Continue baking for 35 to 45 minutes, until the almonds have dried and lightly browned.
- Remove from the oven, flip the almonds again, and allow them to cool at room temperature. Serve immediately or store in an airtight container for future use.