Looking for a tasty use for those extra celery sticks accumulating in your refrigerator? This simple celery and jalapeño soup recipe handles that excess well. And it adds a touch of spiciness to give this “filling, but bland” creamy soup a flavorful edge.
This soup is super simple, too: chop, simmer, blend, and go. All in, it’s about 30 to 35 minutes from prep to plate, with a big portion of that (20 minutes) being simmering time. We’re also talking pretty simple ingredients, too. Celery and jalapeño soup obviously features the namesakes, but it includes potatoes, onions, and garlic as well. Nothing fancy here, just a lot of vegetable flavor. Serve it with crusty bread and it’s a hearty lunch.
You can, of course, adjust the spiciness by cutting back on the amount of jalapeño pepper used. The jalapeño provides a delicious bright undertone to the soup (along with the heat), so we’d suggest not cutting it back too much. And if you’re looking for more heat, we also don’t recommend adding more jalapeño as it can change the flavor balance. Instead, try slicing up some fresh jalapeño to use as a garnish. Or this soup also works very well with a few drops of Tabasco Original Red Sauce.
Celery and jalapeño soup stores well and can be enjoyed for up to four days by sealing in an airtight container. Simply microwave it when ready to eat. It also freezes well. Separate your portions into tubs or freezer bags then defrost in the microwave for a quick lunch on the go.
Simple Celery and Jalapeno Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
- 1 jalapeno pepper chopped
- 4 stalks celery quarter
- 3 large potatoes quarter
- 4 cups vegetable broth or chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- In a large pan over medium heat, warm the olive oil, then fry the onion and garlic for two minutes (stirring often.)
- Add the olive oil, onion and garlic and fry for 2 minutes stirring
- Add the jalapeño pepper, celery and potatoes to the pan. The pour the broth into the pan. Bring the broth to a simmer and allow the vegetables to cook for 20 minutes (or until they are cooked through.)
- Season the broth and vegetable mix with salt and pepper, then add the mix to a blender with the cup of milk. Blend on high power for 1 minute, or until the soup is completely smooth.
- If needed, add the soup back into the pan to heat. Otherwise, serve with crusty bread and addition jalapeño slices (optional.)