Want to heighten the flavor of your Japanese fare? Try your hand at making this shichimi togarashi recipe the next time you’re up for an exotic twist. This delicious Japanese spice mixture is also known as seven-spice seasoning as it near always contains seven ingredients, with ground red chili powder being both a primary flavor and the main heat source. Shichimi togarashi seasoning has more than just heat, though. There’s a citrusy bite to the spice mix that’s quite unique.
Try it with Asian soups, tempura, noodle dishes, or as a spice marinade for grilled meats and seafood. There is quite a bit of kick here, so be ready. Look for nori (seaweed, like you use for sushi), in the international section of your local supermarket.
Shichimi Togarashi Seasoning
- 3 teaspoons ground red chili pepper
- 3 teaspoons Szechuan peppercorns
- 3 teaspoons dried tangerine peel
- 1 tablespoon toasted white sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon toasted black sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon toasted poppy seeds
- 1 teaspoon dried nori
- Using a mortar and pestle, grind all ingredients one by one into a coarse powder. Combine the ingredients in a bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Use immediately or pour the shichimi togarashi into a sealable container for future use.