Rogan Josh seasoning isn’t a curry blend on many radars, but it should be. With it, you can make one delicious lamb curry and a whole lot more. It has a lovely red hue and is very aromatic, featuring cardamom, cinnamon, and cloves, among a whole line-up of spices. Use this recipe as you would other curry powders. It’s delicious in eggs, used as a dry rub for red meats, or added as a spice in aromatic soups and stews. For instance, it’s a unique twist on curry powder for curried potato soup.
Kashmiri peppers are the heat sources of choice for the most authentic Rogan Josh spice blend. They add mild heat and a beautiful bright red color to the seasoning. You can learn more about this delicious chili in our Kashmiri pepper profile.
But Kashmiri isn’t a staple in the typical spice rack. If you don’t have Kashmiri peppers, paprika is a good (and easy) substitute in our recipe. It’s milder, so think warmth than heat if you make it a full replacement. You can also increase the cayenne pepper. Cayenne is a whole lot spicier (30,000 to 50,000 Scoville heat units compared to the Kashmiri at 1,000 to 2,000 SHU), so you’ll want to start with less and ramp up from there. Feel free to tweak the paprika and cayenne to get your desired heat level.
Like this recipe? You’ll love these too:
- Chili Lime Seasoning: This isn’t a Tajin copycat, rather a full-bodied spice blend (many more than Tajin) that’s delicious and versatile.
- Spicy Curry Powder: Another curry take with an eatable level of spiciness.
- Chipotle Cinnamon Rub: Smoky, earthy, and sweet – this blend has it all.
Homemade Rogan Josh Seasoning
- 2 tablespoons crushed dried Kashmiri chilies crushed into powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ginger powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper powder
- 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
- Store your Rogan Josh seasoning in an airtight container and use as needed.