Sweet and smoky…
Adding a little red bell pepper and smoked paprika to your traditional hummus is a delicious twist. It’s slightly sweet with a hint of smoke and only the mildest sense of simmering heat. The smokiness comes from both the smoked paprika and the freshly roasted red bell pepper. Roasting the bell only takes ten minutes under a broiler, with a nifty kitchen trick after to make peeling the pepper super simple.
Serve the red pepper hummus with pita or vegetable crudités as a healthy dipper. Or – one of our favorites – try it as a spread for veggie sandwiches.
Roast the bell pepper
- Turn on oven broiler and line a baking pan with aluminum foil.
- Halve the bell pepper lengthwise, then remove the seeds and membrane.
- Place the pepper halves (skin side up) on the baking pan, then flatten them by pressing down on the halves.
- Broil the peppers for approximately 10 minutes, or until the pepper is blackened.
- Remove the pepper from the heat. Immediately place the halves in a zip-lock bag and seal.
- Allow the pepper to rest for 10 minutes in the sealed zip-lock, then remove the halves and easily peel off the pepper's skin.
- Coarsely chop the pepper.
Make the red pepper hummus
- Place all the ingredients, except the oil, into a food processor. Pulse blend until smooth.
- Slowly pour in the oil while pulse blending. Continue to pulse blend until the oil is fully combined into the hummus.
- Add additional salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer the hummus to a bowl, then sprinkle it with a pinch of smoked paprika.