Tangy sweet raspberries and smoky chipotle peppers are a dynamic duo of big flavor. We love the pairing in this spicy BBQ sauce recipe – then double downing on the sweet, smoke, and spice with the addition of brown sugar and smoked paprika. It makes for a delicious marinade for chicken and pork, or use it for dipping or drizzling to add impact to a more neutral ingredient. Pour it over cream cheese for a quick (and delicious) appetizer dip or drizzle it over vanilla ice cream for a spicy dessert.
- In a saucepan over medium, heat the olive oil then add the onions. Cook the onions until they are translucent (approximately 3 minutes).
- Add the chipotle peppers and garlic and stir constantly for 30 seconds until aromatic.
- Add the tomato sauce, apple cider vinegar, brown sugar and smoked paprika. Stir constantly until fully combined.
- Add the raspberries and bring the mix to a boil. Then lower heat and simmer for approximately 10 minutes. Stir often to break up the raspberries.
- Remove sauce from the heat and allow it to cool to room temperature. Use immediately or for best flavor refrigerate overnight to allow the flavors to meld.