Mixing spicy and sweet is always a favorite combo of ours. Take these slow cooker pulled pork tacos. The pork gets some serious smoky heat through a healthy portion of chipotle peppers with adobo sauce. And the salsa made with cherries and peaches just complements it perfectly. It’s the type of meal that everyone will be looking forward to all day long.
Do you want it milder or spicier? You can easily control the heat by changing the amount of chipotle peppers used when cooking the pork or the amount of jalapeño pepper in the salsa.
Spicy Pulled Pork Tacos With Sweet Salsa
The Spicy Pork
- 5 pounds pork shoulder or pork butt trimmed and cut into pieces
- 3 - 5 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce more = spicier
- 1 large yellow onion chopped
- 2 1/2 cups Dr. Pepper
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
The Sweet Salsa
- 1 cup cherries diced
- 1 cup peaches diced
- 1/4 cup cilantro chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper minced fine
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- Salt to taste
- Flour quesadillas for serving
- Combine all Spicy Pork ingredients into a 5-quart crock pot, cover, and cook on low heat for 8 hours (or 4 - 5 hours on high heat).
- An hour prior to pork being done, create the salsa by combining all ingredients and refrigerating.
- Pull pork pieces from the mix and shred them with a fork. Keep pork to the side.
- Strain the liquid from the slow cooker through a cheese cloth, and then return the pulled pork to the remaining mix.
- Serve the pulled pork topped with the sweet salsa in flour tortillas.